Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Happy New Year!

I thought I would begin this post with a look back over 2006, a report about New Year's Eve and my resolutions for 2007. You can find pictures from my dance by clicking on the linked title of this post.



Ecclesiastes 3:1, 4: "[1]To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: [4] A time to weep, and a time to laigh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance."



REVIEW OF 2006

2006 was a very... interesting year. It was the hardest, and perhaps worst, year of my life, but in so many more ways, it was the best year, and 2007 is shaping up to be even better!
In 2006 I...

...gained three of the best friends I've ever had outside of my family.

...won the regional debate tournament and then couldn't go to Nationals.
...moved under the hardest of circumstances.

...learned what it means to truly live.

...danced the year away!

...grew in my faith, my friendships and my life.

...became less of a perfectionist (don't worry, it's still there *wink*).

...had the deepest conversations of my life.

...learned what it means to love and lose.

...had someone bring me so low I never thought I could get up again, and someone (or rather, someones) else bring me up higher than I ever was before.

...became even more quirky!

...fell in love with Mr. Darcy.

...read books I hadn't before (you MUST all read Paris in the Twentieth Century!).

...grew my hair to the longest it's ever been.

...fell and stumbled and tripped many times, but I always got back up.


2006 was a bit contradictory for me. So much bad seemed to happen, but it was all erased. Yes, it's still there, the memory of it lives on, but it's not what stands out in my mind. I am a perfectionist and a pessimist. This past year was far from perfect, and it left so many times for pessimism.

Why don't I remember that? What changed?

You can learn so much from talking to people (and *ah-hem* having them hit you over the head about some things... hard and multiple times... *mutters*). That is what changed. Things that I had been told for years suddenly made sense to me. And I'm so grateful for it.



NEW YEAR'S EVE

That was the best night of my life, quite honestly. It. Was. Perfect. Even though it didn't follow the schedule. Even though I about had two heart-attacks that day (one from finding out my fellow dance instructor and good friend wasn't coming! and the other from him showing up at the very last second!). Even though it snowed (which at any other time would have made me deleriously happy). Even though... well, it doesn't matter what the even though is because...

It. Was. Perfect.

I will never forget it. Thanks to everyone who came who made it so wonderful! I'm looking forward to dancing with you all again soon. New Year's Eve 2007, anyone? I'm thinking sooner would be even better. I'll keep you posted on the details.



2007's RESOLUTIONS

I have four resolutions, and one over all theme for 2007. They are:

1) To Live. I know this sounds obvious. Of course I live, but this year, I want to truly thrive. I've taken a significant step towards this already, laying the foundation in the second half of 2006, and I am excited to continue in that path!

2) To Grow. As a friend, as a Christian, as a daughter, as a sister, as a debater, as a politically minded teenager. I want to expand my horizons, and reach for the stars. Attainably, of course. *grin*

3) To Build. I want to expand my current friendships. Usually, I resolve to gain more friends. But I'm just not a "have ten million friends" person. I like my small, tight group of really close friends and my looser, less rigid group of good friends. It's not at all that I mind having many friends, but my personality procures a limited number of really close friends, and that's how I best operate. I want to expand those friendships, take them to the next level so to speak. It's a very different approach than I've ever taken, and I'm really looking forward to seeing the fruits of it.

4) To Love. This is for both my neighbor and myself. I am not a very nice person. I don't try to be, and I should be. I would like to learn to disagree and/or not like someone without always speaking ill of them (mostly to myself, but sometimes, regrettably, to others). And myself. I am a perfectionist. I know every flaw, every weakness, every defect of myself. But I am a child of God. I was created in His image. I am beautiful, both inside and outside. I want to completely accept that, to embrace that and to know it with every bit of my mind and soul. Again, I've already taken steps towards that in the latter part of 2006, and I really want to continue it.

My overall goal for 2007 is to make this The Year of the Dance. I want to live, to grow, to build and to love. For me, dancing is the ultimate release. While dancing, I honestly am in heaven. I don't know how else to describe it. It's like... the highest high. I want this year to feel like that. This year, I will dance. This year, I want to keep in mind the verse I posted at the beginning. Ecclesiastes 3:1, 4: "[1]To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: [4] A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance."



I pray God's blessing on all of you this year and always!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sarah,

It will be good to get to know you and your family again.

Blessings!

The Prophet

Sarah said...

I would appreciate it if you would have the courtesy to email me (pemberleysmistress@gmail.com) your identity since you have expressed your interest in getting to know my family and myself again.

Thanks,
Sarah

Anonymous said...

One moment it was a dance...
The next moment it was flight.

Over the Moon
Across the skies
Higher than the angels fly.

The music was in the air,
lifting us,
carrying us,
Like a dream without words.

A song without instruments...

A song that captured the listeners with it's own existence. Different that any earthly music.

The music of a dance.

A dance that carried us away to forever...

Anonymous said...

You are going to have a wonderful year, dear girl! God bless you!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah,

You have a wonderful blog, and I look forward to reading it more in the future!

You might not remember who I am, because I never 'formally' met you, but I can assure you that I'm not stalking you or anything. If you drop a comment on my blog, I'll get back with you.

Have an amazing day!

'dia